Providing structure and support while allowing you to move freely and bend, the spine is one of the most important parts of your body. Here are some fun facts about your amazing spine:
- The average spine has 33 vertebrae, 100 joints, 220 ligaments, and 120 muscles.
- There are 3 major sections of the spine: the cervical, the thoracic and the lumbar.
- There are 13.5 million nerve cells in the spinal cord.
- Over 25% of your spine’s length is cartilage.
- Back pain is one of the most common medical problems with around 8 out of 10 people experiencing back pain at some point in their lives.
- In America, the most common cause of this back pain is car accidents.
- Back pain is the second most common reason to visit a doctor. The first is the common cold.
The spine is truly our body’s foundation. This is why we must do our part to ensure our spines are functioning optimally. Make seeing a chiropractor regularly part of your routine to see a substantial improvement in your spine health and overall well being.