7 Back Facts
- The back is more vulnerable to injury during the first hour after waking and any time after prolonged periods of sitting or sleeping.
- Most back injuries are not the result of a single activity or exposure to heavy lifting but instead are related to repetitive motion.
- Back symptoms are the most common cause of disability for persons under age 45.
- Back pain will become chronic in 5 to 10 percent of those who suffer.
- Back symptoms are among the ten leading reasons for a person to visit an emergency room.
- Low back pain affects 60 to 80 percent of U.S. adults at some time during their lives.
- People who smoke, are obese, depressed, anxious or have high stress jobs, have a higher incidence of back pain.